FTA-Fixed Term Appointment
21 December 2011
Regional Policy Manager
Region Southern Africa
Department Regional Policy
Position Type Fixed Term
Job Family Programme
Title: Regional Policy Coordinator
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
Contract: 3 year fixed-term
Grade: National B2
We particularly encourage applications from Southern African citizens.
Senior management position with key responsibility to ensure policy advocacy and campaign objectives are delivered;
Represents Oxfam corporately and engages in managing and influencing significant external relationships in a way that enhances our policy influencing capabilities, resource mobilisation, accountability and organisational reputation.
Communicates widely within Oxfam, and externally.
Contributes to and helps to shape the Region's strategic business plan in general and policy and campaign initiatives in particular.
Role is independent and variable, with well-defined targets and/or minimum standards, requiring effective management of routine and non-routine management and leadership tasks;
Decision making is strategic and operational, requiring analysis and problem solving skill to develop appropriate solutions to diverse problems.
Influencing role with significant external representation and relationship management responsibilities, proactively engaging with a range of internal and external stakeholders and practitioners at national, regional and global levels.
Together with the regional programme leadership team ensure further development of the regional programme, organisational set-up including accountability structure, operating model, funding strategies and operational plan for the three pillars;
Facilitate and provide guidance and leadership in planning and designing key strategies and activities to deliver on the three key JRAS objectives;
Ensure quality and timely reporting to the PGG, member of the PGG+ group
Contextualise and lead Oxfam's regional policy and campaign objectives by facilitating effective linkage with Policy and Campaign Division, regional institutions, affiliates and civil society networks;
Initiate, develop and nurture productive partnerships and relationships with like-minded organisations and institutions to enhance collective voice and collaborative work;
Ensure the financial sustainability of the regional programme through strong partnership, donor relations and quality proposals;
Ensure that sufficient resources are mobilised and effective coordination within the regional programme leadership team is in place to implement the JRAS policy and campaign objectives;
Keep abreast of relevant global and regional policy trends and communicate these with countries, the regional leadership and others as appropriate;
Coordinate regional involvement in international campaigns and linkages with International resource teams.
promote the development of core policy positions within the region on key strategic themes, issues and pro-poor policy agenda and line manage or matrix manage (as appropriate) these posts;
In consultation with the EJ, GJ and Governance Coordinators coordinate, initiate and/or manage collaborative action/research with other independent CBOs, NGOs, policy institutes, and academic institutions;
Contribute to strategic decision making in the region, particularly relating to policy work
Ensure good and cross-learning links between the JRAS and Oxfam's Pan-African work
Regularly update/brief the regional management team on policy work and provide specific inputs/advice as required
Generate, document and disseminate the results of our policy work, capturing new knowledge and learning
Provide strategic advice on the design and implementation of policy advocacy and campaign objectives to Oxfam country programmes particularly to CLTs in the region;
Skills and Competence
· Advanced degree in Human Rights, Social Policy, International Development or similar;
· Expert knowledge of and good networks in the campaigning environment of Southern Africa;
· A social justice activist and political strategist with proven experience in working with international alliances;
· Ability to communicate clearly and work co-operatively in a cross cultural setting;
· Proven analytical skills and ability to think strategically and to act within a regional and global framework;
· Strong programme management and quality knowledge, ideally built on mature understanding of relevant issues derived from field experience, with ability to ensure quality against standards and to implement effective monitoring and evaluation systems to assess and adjust performance, focussed on outcomes, results and impact ;
· Ability to influence and manage multiple and diverse stakeholders;
· An active commitment to promoting gender equality and the interests of marginalised people in all aspects of Oxfam's work;
· Experience of and thorough understanding of a "Rights Based Approach", including conceptual clarity of power analysis.
· Ability to resolve complex problems and provide clear and effective communication and representation;
· Commitment to and good knowledge of working with a partnership approach across the spectrum of Oxfam's work, including innovative approaches to capacity strengthening;
· Politically astute, with high impact influencing and persuasive skills and personal gravitas to gain respect and build and maintain strong, credible relationships, with internal and external stakeholders at all levels.
AJS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS AND AJS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON BANK ACCOUNTS.
SOME EMPLOYERS MAY ACKNOWLEDGE RECEIPT OF YOUR APPLICATION.