Under the supervision of Chief of Operations, you will manage human resource activities including the supervision of human resources staff in a medium size country office in accordance with the HR strategy and work plan, aligned with the Country Programme Management Plan as well as the goals and strategic needs of the organization. Within the Tanzanian context this would include working within the Delivering as One framework.
Key Expected Results
1. Recruitment, Selection and Placement
* A diverse body of staff of the highest calibre are recruited and retained, including staff with specialized talent aligned with the priorities included in MTSP.
* Equity, transparency, efficiency and consistency are established in the placement and selection of staff, and the measurable results and impacts of recruiting efforts on the organization are fully evaluated.
2. Policy Implementation and HR Administration
* Equity, transparency and consistency are clearly demonstrated in the interpretation, determination, implementation, and administration of HR policy, procedures and guidelines on all HR related matters.
* HR benefits, entitlements, job classification, performance management, promotions and contracts renewal and termination are administered in a timely, equitable, systematic and transparent manner.
3. Capacity Building and Career Development
* Capacity building and career development among all staff are strengthened.
* Capacity development and support opportunities are identified and provided for HR staff, other colleagues, and relevant partners as necessary.
4. Strategic HR Planning and Management
* HR management and strategy planning are effectively supported by sound technical analysis, and office management and planning processes. Strategy guidance and technical support for HR planning and management is always available to management.
* Local implementation of /regional /country level HR strategy is effectively undertaken in coordination with the Regional Office and HQ Divisions.
* New trends, priorities, requirements, and strategic HR plans are identified and incorporated through participation in Country Programme Strategy Review, Regional Management Team Meetings, and Global workshops, as appropriate.
5. Management Excellence in the Office
* Management excellence and integrity are promoted and enhanced through measurable accountability and demonstrated leadership in HR management of the office.
6. Staff and Management Relations
* Communication between management and staff are clear, and sound relations between management and staff are effectively established and maintained.
7. Inter-agency cooperation, Networking and Partnerships
* HR initiatives are well-coordinated with other UN and Government agencies, to the betterment of HR planning, cooperation and implementation.
8. Emergency and Staff Security
* Emergency preparedness and emergency rapid responses are established and ensured. Emergencies affecting staff are promptly and properly investigated and appropriate coordinated actions are swiftly undertaken.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
Advanced university degree or equivalent backgrounds, in Human Resources, Business Administration, International Relations, Social Sciences, Psychology or related areas.
Five years of relevant professional HR Management work experience. Developing country work experience. Background/familiarity with emergency operations and staff security.
* Executive Board and other policy documents; Executive Directives related to the areas of expertise
* RMT Decisions
* Country Programme Management Plans
* Performance Management
* Benefits Administration (MIP, Van Breda, UNJSPF)
* Job Classification Guidelines
* Organization design, planning, development and strategy
* Organization culture, change management,
* Strategic HR planning and management
* UNICEF Financial rules and regulations, Budget policies, procedures, guidelines and instructions
* Staff Relations
* Career and Staff development
* Succession planning
* Staff welfare and rights of staff members
* Local Salary Survey Methodology
Fluency in English and another UN language.
Competencies of Successful Candidate
Communicates effectively to varied audiences, including during formal public speaking
Consistently achieves high-level results, managing and delivering projects on-time and on-budget
Creates and encourages a climate of team-working and collaboration in a multi-cultural environment
Analyzes and integrates potentially conflicting numerical, verbal and other data from a number of sources
Adjusts team or department's approach to embrace changing circumstances
Demonstrates, applies and shares expert technical knowledge across the organization
Creates organization-wide processes to help ensure that all adhere to procedures and policies
Translates strategic direction into plans and objectives
Has good leadership and supervisory skills; co-ordinates group activities, ensuring that roles within the team are clear
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
How to apply
If you want a challenging career while improving the lives of children around the world UNICEF, the leading children's rights organization, would like to hear from you.
Apply to this and other vacancies, quoting E-VN-2010-002351.
Please note that only candidates who are under serious consideration will be contacted.
In the selection of its staff, UNICEF is committed to gender balance and diversity without distinction as to race, sex or religion, and without discrimination of persons with disabilities: well qualified candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
AJS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS AND AJS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON BANK ACCOUNTS.
SOME EMPLOYERS MAY ACKNOWLEDGE RECEIPT OF YOUR APPLICATION.