CHILD RIGHTS ADVISOR
Plan is an international humanitarian child centered community development organization, without religious, political or government affiliation. Plan is committed to protecting and promoting child rights, and to improving the lives and futures of poor children, their families and communities through a child-centered community development approach.
Location: Kenya - Nairobi
Plan Kenya has a 5 year (2010-2015) Country Program on Right to Inclusion and Protection whose overall goal is to increase effectiveness of child protection at family, community and institutional level. This Country Program is to contribute to the Country Strategic Plan Goal which is transformed institutions and societies that respect and fulfill rights of all children in Kenya. In this regard Plan Kenya is seeking to recruit for the position of Child Rights Advisor based at the Country Office which is located in Nairobi. The successful candidate will provide advice to Plan Kenya and partner agencies towards realization of the program and country goals. The program will have a strong focus on capacity strengthening of children, families, communities and CSOs to be proactive and participate in child rights advocacy. The successful candidate will be required to ensure mainstreaming of child rights programming, child protection and gender within Plan Kenya programs by providing strategic advice to Plan Kenya and partners. The position will involve travel time up to 30% (local and international). The incumbent will report to the Strategic Program Support Manager.
* Develop and design strategies for engagement with GOK and relevant departments at different levels (national, county, regional and international) on child protection and gender.
* Provide guidance and support in capacity assessment and capacity building of staff and partners in child rights, child protection and gender
* Oversee the implementation of the inclusion and protection program
* Participate in the learning and analysis of child right and gender issues (local and global) to inform Plan Kenya's work
* Support colleagues to analyze policy gaps and develop position papers and strategies to influence policy and practice
* Participate in the implementation of global and national advocacy campaign initiatives on child rights
* Contribute to development of concept notes and proposals and review donor reports to ensure technical soundness.
* Participate in monitoring and reporting on United Nations Convention on the Rights of The Child (UNCRC) and other relevant international conventions
Qualifications, experience and skills
* Bachelors Degree in Law (preferred) or International Human Rights, Development Studies, Gender and Development, Political Science or International Relations. Those with a relevant post graduate diploma or degree will have an added advantage
* At least 7 years of relevant work experience in Gender, Child Rights and Advocacy at UN level or other international development organization, with 3 years at National level
* Experience in working in a right based development environment
* Experience in working with coalitions and within multi-agency forums
* Experience in engaging with governments or multilateral institutions especially at national level
* Articulate both verbally and in writing, including the provision of policy analysis, position statements
* Good interpersonal, communication & analytical skills, strong planning & organisational skills
* Lobbying and negotiation skills
* Excellent grasp of programming concepts and participatory approaches to development
* Skills in facilitation, training and research
Plan Kenya is a development organization uniting people to advance the rights of all children. Accordingly, employment is subject to our child protection standards including appropriate background checks and adherence to our Child Protection Policy.
How to apply
If you meet the requirements for any of the above position and would like to be a part of it in our commitment to children, please send a detailed and updated curriculum vitae, current remuneration and contacts of three professional references, including your current/latest line manager. Your email (OR ENVELOPE) should bear the title “CHILD RIGHTS ADVISOR” - COUNTRY OFFICE” as the subject.
You are invited to read more about Plan in our website www.plan-international.org
We regret that only short listed candidates will be contacted.
AJS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS AND AJS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON BANK ACCOUNTS.
SOME EMPLOYERS MAY ACKNOWLEDGE RECEIPT OF YOUR APPLICATION.