FTA-Fixed Term Appointment
000 - $90
Vacancy Notice No: EMRO/12/FT9
Title: Country Programme Adviser;
Position no. 338929
Contract type: Fixed-Term Appointment
Duration of contract: Post of limited duration for 2 years
Duty Station: Nairobi, Kenya
Organization unit: EMCO Countries (EM_ACO) /
EM_SOM WHO Representative's Office, Somalia (EM_SOM)
Health and Medical Services/ Health Sector Development (HMS / DHS)
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME :
The overall mission of the Division of Health System and Services (DHS) is to contribute to the improvement of health outcomes through health systems strengthening (HSS) performance. The Division focuses on enabling Member States to improve equity in health, access, coverage and quality of health services through policy dialogue informed by sound evidence, systematic learning and capacity building. It supports countries as they scale up investments and activities in health, with a particular emphasis on the development of pro-poor policies and systems; and increasing the effectiveness and efficiency of health systems through improvements in resource planning, organization, management, quality and safety of health services.
Description of duties:
Purpose of the Post:
To support the country office in strengthening Health Systems Building Block.
1. To develop and create a better understanding and facilitate positive working relationships, consensus on direction of health system development and the health system strengthening between health authorities in Somalia, the development partners, Civic Society Organization and global health initiatives [mainly Global Alliance for Vaccine Immunization/Global Fund/Health Systems Strengthening (GAVI/GF/HSS)] in Somalia.
2. To support Zonal health authorities to increase the effectiveness and efficiency of health system development through improvements in organization, management, quality and safety of health service delivery with particular emphasis on scaling up investments and activities in health service provision at district level
3. To assist in developing, coordinating and implementing specific activities aimed at improving country capacity in health sector leadership, policy formation, strategic planning, implementation of reforms and inter-institutional coordination, with a particular focus on linking disease control programs and health system development at country level.
Summary of Assigned Duties:
Under the direct supervision of WR Somalia (WHO Representative Somalia) and general guidance of Regional Advisor/HMS the incumbent will:
1. Build innovative evidence-based approaches to strategic planning and health systems policy development to strengthen country capacities for developing health systems and governing the health sector;
2. Develop, test and implement models and strategies for engaging in policy dialogue with political and administrative health authorities in response to country demand for support to strategic planning;
3. Provide authoritative advice to Zonal health authorities / Planning department and HSS Coordinator in relation to policy and procedures in relation to the programme area;
4. Develop and implement processes for assessing health systems needs and identifying, evaluating and disseminating best practice models of health systems policy development;
5. Develop collaboration and synergies with other departments, clusters and stakeholders outside the Organization on areas of common programmatic interest;
6. Represent WHO at interagency, international, regional, and national meetings related to the programme area.
7. Act as WHO/ HSS Country Focal Point for all Global Health Initiatives (GHI)
8. Coordinate with EMRO/ DHS through Regional HSS focal coordinator
9. Provide guidance concerning the emergency preparedness strategy in Somalia and the production of contingency and response plans, district health profiles, and relevant information for advocacy purposes.
University degree in Medicine and Masters' Degree in Public Health or social sciences.
1) Moving forward in a changing environment
2) Fostering integration and teamwork
3) Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
4) Creating an empowering and motivating environment
5) Building and promoting partnerships across the organization and beyond.
Functional Skills and Knowledge:
1. Technical expertise in planning, monitoring and evaluating health systems.
2. Ability to provide sound methodological and technical advice and guidance to stakeholders and partners in countries, technical programs and other organizations in the subject area.
3. Excellent writing and presentation skills.
4. Advanced and specialized knowledge of health systems and health policy frameworks, and an understanding of current health sector policy development and strategic planning.
5. Excellent communication and negotiation skills, capable of developing and maintaining effective working relations across teams and organizations within an international and multi-cultural working environment.
Other Skills: Computer literacy.
At least ten years of experience combined at national and international level in the field of health systems and/or health policy development. Experience in developing evidence-based health policies and strategies and results based implementation as well as in coordinating complex technical health programs.
1. Experience with the UN system.
2. Experience in managing and coordinating projects in complex/emergency environments.
3. Experience in planning, managing and monitoring community level interventions/Programs.
4. Experience with Global Health Initiatives at national or international level.
Languages: Excellent knowledge of English. Knowledge of another UN official language is desirable.
Applicants are kindly requested to pay attention to the screening questions as they will be used to screen out unqualified candidates.
Only qualified applicants with the relevant experience will be considered.
A written test/presentation and interviews will be used as a form of screening. The written test might be used as an eliminatory tool.
Other similar positions at the same level may be filled from this vacancy notice (this could be the base for rosters).
Candidates will be interviewed using a competency based approach.
Vacancy is issued in English only.
Annual salary: (Net of tax)
US$ 80,629 at single rate
US$ 86,791 with primary dependants
Post Adjustment: 35.5 % of the above figure(s). This percentage is to be considered as indicative since variations may occur each month either upwards or downwards due to currency exchange rate fluctuations or inflation.
Online applications are strongly encouraged to enable WHO to store your profile in a permanent database.
All applicants are encouraged to apply online as soon as possible after the vacancy has been posted.
WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to WHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and Manual. Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
AJS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS AND AJS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON BANK ACCOUNTS.
SOME EMPLOYERS MAY ACKNOWLEDGE RECEIPT OF YOUR APPLICATION.