Communication Specialist, New Delhi
Purpose of the Position
Under the general guidance of the Chief, Communication, responsible for the conceptualization, planning, execution, monitoring and evaluation of an advocacy and communication strategy to promote respect for the rights of children and women and support the mission of UNICEF in the country. The emphasis will be on using new media, including the Web, for these initiatives
Key Expected Results
1. Develops a strategy to get the work of UNICEF India into the public domain, in support of UNICEF's mission and objectives, (including communication assessment and analysis, development of a communication plan, strategic use of resources and involvement in key programme processes, especially situation analysis, reviews and evaluations). Monitors and evaluates its impact.
2. Develops close collaboration with international mass media through activities such as organizing visits to project sites, facilitating photo coverage and TV footage, and utilizes both web-based and traditional media when appropriate to generate and maintain public interest in childrens' and womens' issues, and tell the story of UNICEF's cooperation to a wider audience. Develops a proactive media strategy and monitors media coverage and developments.
3. Adapts and disseminates advocacy materials from NY, Geneva and the Regional Office to identified target audiences, arranging translations into local language(s), as necessary. In coordination with the Chief, Communication participates in global advocacy activities by planning visits of goodwill ambassadors, Executive Board members, including preparation of information materials (e.g., press releases, programme summaries, country fact sheets and media kits), and necessary logistic arrangements. Plans for and coordinates communication requirements (photography, filming, journalists) of National Committee visits.
4. In consultation with the Section Chief, Front Office & Sections/ Field offices develops core publications. Manages the production and distribution to the target audiences of key publications. Manages the UNICEF India website keeping it up to date and relevant with respect to technology, design and content.
5. Assists HQ and the Regional Office in identifying and obtaining feature stories and other material to facilitate global/regional advocacy and fund-raising activities, particularly in support of National Committee efforts to mobilize resources. Ensures regular inputs to Geneva, NYHQ web for profiling India programme and results.
6. Identifies, recruits and supervises technical resources & consultants, as necessary for the above actions.
7. Develops a work plan or communication activities, monitor compliance and provide support & guidance to ensure objectives are met. This includes performance planning, monitoring and appraisal of plans, monitor use of communication budgetary resources.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
Advanced university degree in Communication, Journalism, Public Relations; or equivalent professional work experience in the communication area, combined with an advanced university degree in a related discipline/ Social Sciences.*
Five years of relevant work experience in communication, print and broadcast and new media, of which two years should be in developing countries.
Specific, detailed and up-to-date knowledge of:
-Executive Board and other policy documents.
-Mid-Term Strategic Plan (MTSP)
-UN/UNICEF Policy Papers
-UNICEF programme policy, procedures and guidelines.
-Rights-based and Results-based approach and programming in UNICEF
-General administrative and financial guidelines.
-Human resources manual
-UNICEF communication and other DOC guidelines
-Brand Toolkit and Brand Book
-Ethical Guidelines on Reporting on Children
Fluency in English and another UN language. Knowledge of the local working language of the duty station is an asset.
*A first level university degree with a relevant combination of academic qualifications and experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Competencies of Successful Candidate
Has highest-level communication skills, including engaging and informative formal public speaking.
Able to work effectively in a multi-cultural environment.
Sets high standards for quality of work and consistently achieves project goals.
Has good leadership and supervisory skills; co-ordinates group activities, ensuring that roles within the team are clear.
Quickly builds rapport with individuals and groups; maintains an effective network of individuals across organizational departments.
Translates strategic direction into plans and objectives.
Negotiates effectively by exploring a range of possibilities.
Demonstrates and shares detailed technical knowledge and expertise.
Seeks and proposes opportunities for advancing UNICEF's mission.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
AJS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS AND AJS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON BANK ACCOUNTS.
SOME EMPLOYERS MAY ACKNOWLEDGE RECEIPT OF YOUR APPLICATION.