Director, African Network For Drugs And Diagnostics Innovation, Addis Ababa
Director, African Network for Drugs and Diagnostics Innovation (ANDI), D1
Economic Commission for Africa
Job Opening number
12-MED-ECA-22857-R-ADDIS ABABA (X)
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
Org. Setting and Reporting
The position is located in the ICT and Science & Technology Division (ISTD) of the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA). The position is Under the administrative authority of the UNECA and the technical guidance of the African Network for Drugs and Diagnostics Innovation (ANDI) board, and draws upon the technical resources of UNECA, World Health Organization (WHO) and other partners.
- Provide overall management and leadership to the ANDI Secretariat; be responsible for the administration, direction and guidance of its work, and shall provide information and proposals to the Board for setting policies and developing strategies for ANDI while ensuring compliance with UNECA Rules.
- Be responsible for establishing the ANDI secretariat structure, staffing plan, development of ANDI work plans, budgets and will oversee the implementation of the Secretariat's work
- Be responsible for fund raising and advocacy, public relation activities, the running of Board meetings, which (s)he will attend in an ex officio capacity, and the running of the annual discussion of the collaborating Parties on ANDI i.e. UNECA, WHO, in which (s)he will participate.
- Support meetings of the Scientific and Technical Advisory Committee (STAC) and oversee any internal or external review of ANDI activities.
- Facilitate partners' inputs to implement agreed priority strategic initiatives with focus on ensuring optimal cross-constituency coordination, innovation and achievement of results.
- Plan key Partnership events and ensure there is synergy among the various activity areas and priority strategic initiatives.
- Help to ensure high quality of all Partnership activities and products, as well as transparency of management processes and communications.
- Facilitate and promote the work of the ANDI at regional and global level events, including discussions with high-level government officials, policy makers, partners and other key players.
- In consultation with Partners and the Chair of the Board, speak and advocate for the ANDI through presentations and published articles, and represent the ANDI at selected inter-agency, international, regional and national meetings.
- Liaise with donors and other strategic partners to identify common interests and develop memoranda of understanding, grant agreements or other agreements in order to support the goals of the ANDI.
- Act as focal point with the host organization in relation to the Memorandum of Understanding, finance, human resources and facilities.
- Facilitate internal and external communications across the ANDI structure including UNECA, and ensure regular and productive meetings of the partners and stakeholders.
- Report on programmatic matters to the Board and administratively to UNECA
Has sound knowledge of the mandate of the African Network for Drugs and Diagnostic Innovation as well as knowledge of how to translate strategies into action; strong understanding of product R&D value chain, sound knowledge of public private partnerships as well as network model for R&D collaboration.
Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Planning & Organizing:
-Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies
-Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required
-Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work
-Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning
-Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary
-Uses time efficiently
-Serves as a role model that other people want to follow
-Empowers others to translate vision into results
-Is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives
-Establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support
-Anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions
-Drives for change and improvement; does not accept the status quo
-Shows the courage to take unpopular stands
-Provides leadership and takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
-Identifies the key issues in a complex situation, and comes to the heart of the problem quickly
-Gathers relevant information before making a decision
-Considers positive and negative impacts of decisions prior to making them
-Takes decisions with an eye to the impact on others and on the Organization
-Proposes a course of action or makes a recommendation based on all available information
-Checks assumptions against facts
-Determines that the actions proposed will satisfy the expressed and underlying needs for the decision
-Makes tough decisions when necessary
MD degree from a recognized university in biological or chemical sciences or closely related field is required.
An advanced university degree, preferably a PhD, in public health, life sciences, medicine, natural sciences or R&D management is desirable. Formal training or experience in partnerships and network would be an asset.
Minimum of 15 years professional experience in related fields such as product R&D, management of public private partnerships and networks and capacity building, at the national and international levels is required. S/He must have a clear understanding of health product R&D and innovation challenges and opportunities facing Africa and the world as evidenced by atleast ten years of continuous track record of R&D discovery programme management and publication in peer-reviewed journal publications. Several years of experience with developing countries including coordinating with national governments and in working with the donor community, international organizations, nongovernmental organizations, and professional and academic bodies is desired. Managerial experience and a sound understanding of implementation challenges, programme and investment issues at country and regional level is required.
Experience in writing high quality technical and strategic documents, as evidenced by peer-reviewed journal publications, strategic business, investment and partnership plans and previous experience in working with public-private partnerships and on diseases that disproportionately affect developing countries is desirable.
Fluency in one of the working languages of the UN Secretariat, English (both oral and written) is required; knowledge of the French is desirable. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage
Competency based interview and other assessment method.
- Staff members are subject to the authority of the Secretary-General and to assignment by him or her. In this context, all staff are expected to move periodically to new functions in their careers in accordance with established rules and procedures.
- This vacancy is subject to availability of post. Staff members of the United Nations Secretariat must fulfill the lateral move requirements to be eligible to apply for this vacancy. Staff members are requested to indicate all qualifying lateral moves in their Personal History Profile (PHP) and cover note.
United Nations Considerations
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. (Charter of the United Nations - Chapter 3, article 8). The United Nations Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
AJS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS AND AJS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON BANK ACCOUNTS.
SOME EMPLOYERS MAY ACKNOWLEDGE RECEIPT OF YOUR APPLICATION.