Job Ref: SOM/EX0109
CARE Somalia/South Sudan is an International NGO working in Somalia and South Sudan.
CARE and its partners work with vulnerable communities to address the underlying causes of poverty and promote peace and development, through its strategic goal to reduce poverty by empowering women, enhancing access to resources and services, and improving governance.
CARE is looking for a suitable candidate to fill the position of Emergency Manager based in Somalia to provide day to day management of Emergency projects.
* The Emergency Manager (EM) will lead and manage the USAID/OFDA funded Recovery and Emergency Assistance for Somalia program(REASP-2), in accordance with the donor requirements
* Support other disaster risk reduction activities in project areas; provide support and advice to all REASP partners.
* The Emergency Manager will support the Emergency Coordinator in implementing the program within its goals and objective
* Where necessary, he/she will also lead the emergency response activities in the project areas, with support from the Emergency Coordinator, WASH Advisor and the field emergency response team(ERT)
* He/she will review implementing partners progress reports against the program overall goals and Objectives.
* The incumbent of this position will be responsible for Sub- Grant Management and will manage the sub-grant cycle, for local and international NGOs. In collaboration with the sub grants unit, s/he will ensure that reported recommendations from sub grants unit are followed up.
* The Emergency Manager will ensure capacity building of communities, local partners and government to improve their capacity to respond to mitigate, prepare and respond to disasters and will be required to work with partners to increase the capacity of communities and local government to manage and sustain implemented activities.
* Contribute to the country emergency planning and preparedness (EPP) review process
* Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
* Planning and organizing abilities;
* Strong leadership and teamwork abilities;
* Good analytical skills;
* Stress tolerance, adaptable with ability to pro-actively solve problems;
* Ability to maintain customer focus while handling multiple priorities;
* Integrity, commitment to service and respect for diversity;
Required skills and qualifications
* At least a Bachelors Degree in a social science field, or equivalent combination of education and work experience;
* At least 5 years of experience in project management in a complex international; development environment, 3 of which should be in an emergency and/or post conflict context;
* Proven capacity to negotiate and work in partnerships;
* Financial management skills;
* Excellent computer skills, familiarity with the most common software packages (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, & Outlook). Basic database management skills and experience with basic mapping software will be an added advantage;
* Experience with OFDA reporting, budgeting, procurement, and project management procedures is desirable.
This position is based in Garowe, Puntland with 40% travel to other office locations.
Applications/CV with daytime telephone contacts and three referees clearly marked “Emergency Manager- REF: SOM/EX0109” .
CARE is an Equal Opportunity Employer, promoting gender, equity and diversity and women candidates are strongly encouraged to apply!