Chief Education Officer
United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF)
United Nations Children's Fund
Location: Mali - Bamako
Purpose of the Position:
Under the general guidance of the Deputy Representative, you will be accountable for
the development, design, planning, implementation and management of the Education programme within the country programme.
As head of section, direct, lead and manage a group of professional and support staff to develop, manage and administer the sectoral or inter-sectoral programme with a view to integrating gender equality across all aspects of the country programme.
Key Expected Results
1. As head of the Education Section, you will provide leadership, guidance and direction for Education programme development, design, planning, implementation, and management; promote the quality of rights-based Education programming through participation in the formulation and development of programme goals, strategies and approaches for the UNICEF plan of cooperation. Plan, implement and monitor assigned activities. Bring coherence, synergy and added value to the education programme management processes using a results-based management approach to planning and design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation. Hold shared responsibility for strategic recommendations and decisions on situation analysis, programme planning, implementation and evaluation, knowledge management, as well as administrative decision making on use of funds and human resources.
2. You will hold primary responsibility for the formulation of Education programme goals and objectives and the development of strategies and innovative approaches; further promote knowledge management by drafting or finalizing Education programme documents and reports such as the Country Programme Recommendation and Plans of Action as well as through orientation and training programmes targeted to Government authorities. Ensure exchange of knowledge, information, experience or lessons learned; provide solid technical recommendations on major programme directions and on introduction of new initiatives in the country; share good practices in gender equality programming, scaling up good practices at the national level.
3. You will assume primary responsibility for effective management of the Education section, including guidance, oversight, supervision of teams of professional and support staff, financial accountability of funds and human resources management and development; develop the workplan for the sector and monitor compliance to ensure objectives and targets are met and achieved. Ensure the training needs of staff are met, and provide on-the-job training.
4. You will participate with UNICEF/government/and other partners in the development of strategies, methodologies and identification of new approaches for improving programme delivery, with emphasis on advocacy, community participation and social mobilization. Take primary responsibility for the development of the Education programme work plan and technical decisions as well as for project management, implementation and monitoring of assigned project/sectoral activity, in compliance with the defined project strategies and approaches emphasizing the principles of gender equity and strategies for gender mainstreaming.
5. You will represent UNICEF in Education policy dialogues with government; provide technical support to government and non-government organizations at the national, regional and provincial levels in the planning, development and implementation stages of the programmes/projects. Plan, organize and conduct training and orientation activities for government personnel and beneficiaries, for the purpose of capacity building at the central and regional levels, and expansion of coverage of services.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
Advanced university degree in one or more of the disciplines relevant to the following areas: Education, Primary Education, or Social Sciences fields relevant to international development assistance,or a related technical field.
Eight years of progressively responsible professional work experience at national and international levels in programme planning, management, monitoring, and evaluation,in fields relevant to Education programmes. Experience working in the UN or other international development organization an asset. Background/familiarity with Emergency.
Some demonstrative capacity to identify and monitor gender inequalities, as well as develop and implement gender mainstreaming in programmes.
* Advanced knowledge of one or more of the technical areas of UNICEF Education programmes.
* Advanced Technical Knowledge of the theories, principles and methods in one of the following areas: Education; Primary Education, Economics, Social Sciences, and/or related fields.
* Gender and diversity awareness
* leadership in identifying, encouraging and mentoring capable women.
Fluency in English and another UN language. Knowledge of the local language of the duty station is an asset.
Competencies of Successful Candidate
Communicates effectively to varied audiences, including during formal public speaking.
Able to work effectively in a multi-cultural environment.
Sets high standards for quality of work and consistently achieves project goals.
Has good leadership and supervisory skills; co-ordinates group activities, ensuring that roles within the team are clear.
Translates strategic direction into plans and objectives.
Analyzes and integrates diverse and complex quantitative and qualitative data from a wide range of sources.
Quickly builds rapport with individuals and groups; maintains an effective network of individuals across organizational departments.
Identifies urgent and potentially difficult decisions and acts on them promptly; initiates and generates team- and department-wide activities.
Demonstrates, applies and shares expert technical knowledge across the organization.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
If you want a challenging career while improving the lives of children around the world UNICEF, the leading children's rights organization, would like to hear from you.
Apply to this and other vacancies, quoting E-VN-2011-000272.
Please note that only candidates who are under serious consideration will be contacted.
In the selection of its staff, UNICEF is committed to gender balance and diversity without distinction as to race, sex or religion, and without discrimination of persons with disabilities: well qualified candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Fake job announcements and offers of assistance are in circulation. Scam "artists" want to steal your money!
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, TRAINING OR ANY OTHER FEES).
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON BANK ACCOUNTS.