Technical Adviser, "Promoting Energy Efficiency in Residential and Public Sector in Nigeria", Abuja, Nigeria
Global Environment Facility (GEF 4) has approved a grant for Nigeria to implement a climate change mitigation project titled “Promoting Energy Efficiency in Residential and Public Sector in Nigeria”. The overall objective of this project is to improve the energy efficiency of a series of end-use equipment (refrigeration appliances, air conditioners, lighting, electric motors and fans, heating appliances etc) used in residential and public buildings (schools, hotels, government offices etc) in Nigeria through the introduction of appropriate energy efficiency policies and measures (such as Standards and Labels) and demand-side management programs. Another objective of the project is to strengthen the regulatory and institutional framework, develop monitoring and enforcement mechanisms, provide training to appliance and equipment professionals, and launch a public outreach campaign to promote energy efficiency in Nigeria.
The activities to achieve these objectives are designed to enhancing the capacity of all relevant stakeholders at the national level of the concept, nature and potential of energy efficiency; develop policy and legal energy efficiency requirements of end-use appliances in Nigeria; train relevant professionals and carry out public outreaches; and conduct pilot project where 1 million compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs) will be distributed in residential and public buildings in Nigeria. The project will assist the government of Nigeria to put in place comprehensive energy efficiency policy and legislation. It will help to minimize the building of power stations, helping to save money which will be invested in other sectors. This will consequently help in mitigating the emission of greenhouse gases resulting from generating energy. It will also help to increase Nigerian's access to electricity.
Working together with all relevant stakeholders and partners, the project will achieve the following four major outcomes to remove the barriers towards the long-term promotion of energy efficiency in Nigeria:
Outcome 1: Improve the capacity of all relevant stakeholders at the national level with regards to the concept, nature and potential of energy efficiency in the residential and public sector
Outcome 2: Development of new energy efficiency legal requirements for selected end-use equipment in Nigeria
Outcome 3: Training of professional stakeholders and public outreach activities and enforcement of new energy efficiency legislation
Outcome 4: Transformation of the lighting market: promotion of energy saving lamps
UNDP Nigeria is seeking to appoint a national consultant as Project Coordinator in the implementation and monitoring of the project as laid out in the logical framework.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Deputy Country Director, Programmes, and in close cooperation with the Climate Change Programme Coordinator, the International Technical Adviser will provide overall technical guidance, advice and support to the Project Coordinator and the Project Team and assist in the recruitment of local and international consultants. The TA will advise the Project Coordinator and Project Team on the project implementation, monitoring and evaluation methodology and strategy.
Specific functions shall include but not limited to the following:
* Manage the project implementation in accordance with objectives, schedule and planned budget;
* Coordinate awareness creation on all project activities;
* Coordinate the project activities with relevant activities and initiatives of the Government;
* Ensure cooperation between the participating institutions of the project;
* Assist in the timely preparation of annual project reports, working plans and other relevant project documents;
* As applicable, with the UNDP CO, International Technical Adviser would assist in attracting additional financing in order to fulfill the project objectives;
* Ensuring otherwise successful completion of the project in accordance with the stated outcomes and performance indicators summarized in the project's log-frame matrix and within the planned schedule and budget;
* Establish contacts with and engage the key local stakeholders into consultations to facilitate adoption and effective implementation of the recommended energy efficiency policies and provide/organize related training and other capacity building;
* Provide overall technical guidance, advice and support to the Project Coordinator and Project Team;
* Assist the Project Coordinator and Project Team to prepare a detailed Annual Work Plan of all project activities in line with the programming and approved budget, and start and conclude them accordingly;
* Assist in the recruitment, supervision and management of local staff;
* Participate in the recruitment of local and international consultants.
Impact of Results
* Institutional capacities of all relevant stakeholders in Nigeria to develop and implement effective energy efficient appliance policies enhanced.
* A structured enforcement and verification program with adequately trained staff and other resources established.
* Awareness of the end-users raised and the supply chain and capacity of the local manufacturers strengthened to develop and implement specific promotional activities to enhance the sale of energy efficient appliances.
* Support provided by the project, including monitoring, learning, adaptive feedback and evaluation institutionalized.
* Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN's values and ethical standards
* Advocates and promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
* Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
* Treats all people fairly without favoritism
* Previous experience in developing and implementing GEF project on energy efficiency or climate change
* Experience of energy efficiency policy and legislations, especially on appliances S and L, energy efficiency awareness campaign, designing financial modality and pilot project
* Experience in implementing energy efficiency project activities, effective result-based monitoring systems with good indicators and strong baseline
* A good knowledge of the concept of energy efficiency as a tool for combating climate change and experience in building capacity on energy efficiency
* Previous experience in conducting research and development activities on energy efficiency.
Management and Leadership:
* Strong in inter-personal and multi-disciplinary communications skills
* Ability to lead, plan, organize, coordinate, delegate, manage, monitor and evaluate the project activities and work independently and as a team to the scheduled timelines and milestones
* Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
* Demonstrates a good work ethic and respect for divergent views
* Flexibility in accommodating a range of comments and suggestions after technical review
* Proven leadership skills as a team leader
* Ability to work under pressure and multitasking abilities.
Required Skills and Experience
* Post graduate degree in Environmental Sciences, Climate Change, Energy Efficiency or relevant field.
* At least 5 years work experience in project management.
* Strong interpersonal and communication skill
* Strong computer skills (Microsoft Office, Excel, Power point, Internet, e-mail)
* English. Other UN languages would be an added advantage.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
Fake job announcements and offers of assistance are in circulation. Scam "artists" want to steal your money!
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, TRAINING OR ANY OTHER FEES).
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON BANK ACCOUNTS.