Public Service Commission of Kenya (PSCK)
Applications are invited from qualified candidates for the positions shown below.
Vacancies in the Office of the Prime Minister-Ministry of State for Public Service
Principal Executive Secretary/Assistant Director, Secretarial Services-Two (2) Posts
Salary Scale: KSh.63,782 - KSh.81,404 p.m.(Job Group ‘P’)
For appointment to this grade, a candidate must have:
(i) served satisfactorily in the grade of Senior Executive Secretary Job Group
‘N’ or any other comparable and relevant position in the Public Service for a
minimum period of three (3) years;
(ii) a Bachelors Degree in Secretarial Studies/Bachelor of Business and Office
Management or equivalent qualification from a recognized university;
A Bachelors Degree in Social Sciences plus a Diploma/Higher National Diploma in Secretarial Studies from the Kenya National Examinations Council.
A Bachelors Degree in Social Sciences plus the following qualifications from the
Kenya National Examinations Council:
* Shorthand III (minimum 120 w.p.m.)
* Typewriting III (minimum 50 w.p.m.)/Computerized Documents Processing III
* Business English III/Communications II
* Commerce II
* Office Management III/Office Administration and Management III
* Secretarial Duties II
(iii) evidence of qualification in the following Computer applications (Windows, Ms-
Word, Ms-Excel, Ms-Access and Internet);
(iv) attended a Secretarial Management Course at the Kenya Institute of
Administration or at any Government Training Institution;
(v) excellent interpersonal communications skills; and
(vi) demonstrated professional competence in management of secretarial services.
Duties and Responsibilities
* A Principal Executive Secretary will be deployed in the Office of the Permanent Secretary/Secretary to the Cabinet and Head of Public Service or any other office with similar responsibilities.
The duties and responsibilities will include:
* drafting letters;
* recording dictation in shorthand and transcribing it in typewritten form;
* typing from drafts and manuscripts,
* data processing and operating office machines;
* attending to visitors/clients;
* handling telephone calls and appointments;
* ensuring security of office;
* playing an effective role in office protocol, media and security of office documents; and
* guiding and supervising secretarial staff in lower grades.
The position of an Assistant Director of Secretarial Services will be restricted to the
Ministry of State for Public Service headquarters. An officer at this level will deputize
the Senior Assistant Director of Secretarial Services.
Duties and responsibilities will include assisting the Senior Assistant Director of
Secretarial Services in the management and overall coordination of the Secretarial
Specifically, the officer will be responsible for:
* maintaining up-to-date records of secretarial personnel; and
* managing deployment; and identifying training needs and facilitating training of secretarial personnel
Interested and qualified persons are requested to make their applications online .
* Serving officers should first register their personal profiles on the Commission’s website before making an application for a job online. Those already registered may edit their profiles as need be.
* Only shortlisted and successful candidates will be contacted.
* Candidates should NOT attach any copies of academic and professional certificates to the application form. ALL relevant details requested in the advertisement should be filled on the form.
* The Public Service Commission is committed to availing equal employment opportunities to ALL KENYANS.
* Canvassing in any form will lead to automatic disqualification.
Shortlisted candidates shall be required to produce originals of their National Identity Card, academic and professional certificates and testimonials during interviews.
Serving officers will be required to produce the original letter of appointment to their current substantive post before the interview.