11-220: Project Director
Department: International Operations
Essential Job Duties/Scope of Work:
International Medical Corps is a global, humanitarian, nonprofit organization dedicated to saving lives and relieving suffering through health care training and relief and development programs.
Established in 1984 by volunteer doctors and nurses, International Medical Corps is a private, voluntary, nonpolitical, nonsectarian organization. Its mission is to improve the quality of life through
health interventions and related activities that build local capacity in underserved communities worldwide. By offering training and health care to local populations and medical assistance to people at highest risk, and with the flexibility to respond rapidly to emergency situations, International Medical Corps rehabilitates devastated health care systems and helps bring them back to self-reliance.
International Medical Corps is implementing the Sudan Health Transformation Project in Malakal and Tambura Counties in South Sudan since early 2008. The project aims to improve health and reduce the disease burden in Southern Sudan through a well coordinated and complementary implementation in Malakal and Tambura Counties of the following: increased access to the Basic Package of Health Services (BPHS); capacity-building support to the post-war recovery of the health system; and mobilization of the community to utilize services and sustain health improvement through behavior change.
The primary function of the Project Director includes supporting the implementation of program activities inclusive of supervision of staff and day to day administration of overall programs.
- Increase Southern Sudanese capacity to deliver and manage services
- Increase knowledge of and demand for services and healthy practices
- Set the monthly, quarterly, annual and project duration strategy
- Ensure that the strategic directions, project benchmarks, accountability and internal control standards are established and exercised
- Ensures that the results oriented directions, targets, deliverables and standards of care are communicated and agreed with the team and in consultation with the Management Sciences for Health (MSH) country leadership and when required with the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), other partners and stakeholders
- Ensure that project elements are conceptualized and the team members and consultants understand their roles and responsibilities and are properly trained to implement the project tasks in compliance with all the project requirements of USAID, MSH and IMC
- Ensure that technical deliverables and monitoring and evaluations plan are designed, agreed, and match the project requirements and ensure that all the project information and benchmarks are achieved in a most transparent way and properly reported
- Ensure that the project team and consultants are properly trained, roles and responsibilities are properly assigned and the team is able to implement the project agreed deliverables
- Provide sound day to day leadership in recruitment, training, programmatic and fiscal operations, performance evaluations of the project and staff
- Conduct monthly deliverables and project practices review
Ensure that contract, finance and grants administration functions are in full compliance with provisions of the agreement with MSH
- Ensure that fiscal and program documentation processes flow
- Ensure full coordination and collaboration is established with the MSH team, the State, County Ministry of Health and Primary Health Care Centers is established. Lessons learned and approaches are communicated, captured and reported.
- Masters Degree or PhD in Public Health, Health Administration or other relevant field
- A minimum of 10 years progressive relevant international experience. South Sudan health program management experience preferred.
- Experience in the geographic/cultural region of the project needed
- Progressive leadership in management and proven ability to lead and motivate multidisciplinary and multicultural teams
- Ability to establish and ensure ongoing effective collaboration with the MSH team, ministry officials and other MSH and USAID implementing partners
- Proven experience setting up standards, communicating a project strategy, managing project deliverables, performance monitoring and evaluation.
- Familiarity with International humanitarian operations, coordination structures, and the mandates of donors, UN agencies, and other NGOs
- Cross-cultural awareness and insight into Health care issues
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions with limited supervision
- Extremely flexible, and have the Ability to cope with stressful situations and frustrations
- Ability to relate to and motivate local staff effectively
- Creative and able to work with limited resources
- Team player and strong communication skills, both oral and written
- Proficient in computer applications, especially with MS Word and MS Excel, MS PowerPoint a plus