Job Title: Program Manager II - Food Security
Requisition Number: I377
Area of Interest: Agriculture
Position Type: Full Time
Job Title: Program Manager II – Food Security
Department: Program - Food Security
Location: Maseru, Lesotho
Reports to: Head of Programs (HoP)
Supervisory Responsibilities: Livelihoods Project Coordinator, Irrigation Project Manager, Agriculture Technical Officer
Lesotho, often referred to as the `Mountain Kingdom’ is a picturusque nation of 1.8 million people. It is surrounded on all sides by South Africa. The country has the third highest rates of HIV/AIDS incidence in the world, with one of the highest rates of orphaning. Recurrent droughts, erosion and high incidence of AIDS have also led to chronic food insecurity.
CRS Lesotho is a rapidly growing country program with current programs focusing on HIV/AIDS, Food Security, Early Childhood Care and Development (ECCD) and Savings & Internal Lending. CRS/Lesotho’s programs in Food Security and HIV/AIDS with cutting edge interventions in the areas of conservation agriculture, key hole gardens, OVC, nutrition, public-private partnership – have contributed to our agency leadership in these two sectors.
CRS/Lesotho is looking to recruit a dedicated, innovative and technically sound professional to head up it’s Food Security unit. This position reports directly to the Head of Programming and will be responsible for the supervision and mentoring of a 4 member food security team.
The primary responsibility of this position is to lead, manage, and coordinate the CRS/Lesotho Food Security program portfolio. The Program Manager will be responsible for leading and managing all aspects of the program including resource mobilization, program planning and development, project implementation, relationships with donors and implementing partners, management of project specific budgets and resources, and all other organizational, operational and reporting activities. This position will also require an active role in supervising CRS food security program and partner staff.
A. Leads Food Security Program growth:
Identify Food Security program priorities and actively develop strategic plan to grow the program (with partners, CP staff, HoP, CR and Business development team)
Lead Food Security project proposal development with staff and partners.
Represent CRS/Lesotho’s Food Security portfolio to current and potential donors.
Develop relationships with key donors, attend stakeholder meetings, and organize field visits as required
B. Focuses on quality:
1. Establish systems in consultation with HoP that support Food Security program quality through adherence to agency principles and standards, compliance, learning and innovation.
2. Ensure detailed and realistic project implementation plans are developed with Food Security team and partners. Oversee implementation of all projects, regularly reviewing progress against indicators.
3. Ensure that all Food Security team members and partners follow program quality guidance, M&E standards to ensure high quality project design.
4. Ensure all Food Security M&E activities and reporting are of acceptable quality and compliant with donor requirements.
5. Manage the implementation of all aspects of Food Security and Livelihood project activities, including results, finances, and schedule.
6. Oversee Food Security program related assessments, identify areas of intervention and select activities of intervention in coordination with the Head of Programs.
7. Collaborate with CRS Regional Team, Technical Advisors, and Headquarters to ensure high programming quality.
8. Coach staff in the use of IHD, Justice Lens and partnership principles to strengthen participatory, innovative and holistic development approaches
9. Keep abreast of Food Security best practices, particularly in Agro-enterprise, conservation agriculture and irrigation.
10. Ensure that all project reports are written and distributed in a timely manner.
11. Ensure compliance to project closure process
12. Regularly travel to the field to visit projects, assess progress and mentor CRS and partner staff
13. Ensure quality and timely financial management and budget management of Food Security Projects. Participate in the Annual Program Planning process. Ensure effective budget management through monthly budget comparisons and Q&A analysis.
14. Provide high quality leadership to Food Security consortium composed of World Vision, Care and CRS.
C. Supervises and develops program staff:
1. Periodically orient Food Security staff to CRS identity, culture, tools and processes
2. Coach program staff in all aspects of project design and implementation. Meet regularly with staff individually for coaching, mentoring and support.
3. Promote the ongoing development of program staff skills(in technical and non-technical topics) in areas where they lack capacity
4. Directly supervise Food Security program staff
5. Identify training needs and opportunities for staff and organize/facilitate training events and mentoring as appropriate.
6. Coach staff on building effective partnerships.
7. Mitigate risks by ensuring staff understand and follow financial/administrative processes
8. Complete all aspects of CRS performance management on time and effectively.
D. Partner support
1. Develop and nurture close working relationships with the CRS partners.
2. Work closely with HoP to periodically assess partner capacity. Develop a comprehensive plan to support partner capacity strengthening
3. Provide direct managerial support to partner staff and liaise with the finance department to maintain financial controls of each Food Security project.
4. Work closely with partner staff to increase their effectiveness, project development skills, program quality, and level of responsibility.
E. Builds and leads effective teams
1. Hold regular staff meetings and ensure action points from team meetings are accomplished.
2. Document learning and examples of promising practices and share with all CRS staff
3. Organize team’s work around shared vision and goals
4. Know CRS administrative and financial procedures and systems constructively linking programs with MQ staff
5. Work collaboratively with staff and keep them well informed.
6. Approach others and their view with diplomacy, humility and integrity
Program Manager CompetenciesThese are rooted in the mission, values, and principles of CRS and used by each program manager to fulfill his or her responsibilities and to achieve the desired results.
· Sets clear goals and manages toward them
· Collaborates effectively with staff and stakeholders
· Manages financial resources with integrity
· Applies program quality standards to project design and organizational learning
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff) These are rooted in the mission, values, and principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and to achieve the desired results.
· Serves with Integrity
· Models Stewardship
· Cultivates Constructive Relationships
· Promotes Learning
Key working relationships:
Internal: Country Representative, Monitoring and evaluation Unit, Finance – Resource Accountant, HIV/AIDS unit, Education Unit, CRS Fellows.
External: Lesotho Catholic Bishop’s Conference, CARITAS Lesotho, Ministry of Agriculture and Food Security, USAID-OFDA, UN Agencies, CARE, and World Vision
Masters Degree in International Development, Agriculture, Economics, Social Science, or related field.
At least 5 years' relevant work experience, minimum three years international experience in Food Security programming.
Significant previous experience with USG and/or USAID grants management prefered.
Excellent written and oral communication skills (excellent English skills required).
Strong organizational ability and demonstrated experience in multi-task management.
Ability to work both as a leader and a motivating member of a diverse team.
Demonstrated ability to work with local partners in a productive and effective manner that respects their organizational strengths and addresses weaknesses.
Proven ability to be an effective supervisor of staff and to delegate and follow-up efficiently and effectively.
Strong team building and human relations experience/skills.
Advanced computer literacy skills.
Sub-Saharan Africa experience helpful.