Technical Assistant, Nairobi
TECHNICAL ASSISTANT, G5, G5
UNITED NATIONS OFFICE AT NAIROBI
Job Opening number
11-ADM-UN OFFICE AT NAIROBI-19974-R-NAIROBI
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Office at Nairobi (UNON) is the UN headquarters in Africa and the representative office of the Secretary-General. We support programme implementation of the UN Environment Programme (UNEP) and the UN Human Settlements Programme (UN-HABITAT) globally, as well as other UN offices in Kenya, by providing administrative, conference and information services (www.unon.org). The post is located in the Technical Services Unit (TSU) of the Division of Conference Services (DCS) in UNON.
Under the general guidance and direct supervision of the Head, Technical Services Unit (TSU), the incumbent's duties will be as follows:
1. Conference Equipment: Assist in the manning the operation of the simultaneous interpretation equipment, voting system, video, audio and other recording equipment and ensure they are operational at all times and are properly maintained; Ensure that telephones and voice mail system in conference rooms, delegates and executive offices are available and reliable; Monitor equipment moves, additions and changes and ensure guidelines are met; Operate conferencing equipment during meetings; Participate in the installation and provision of simultaneous interpretation, voting and recording systems outside of UNON conference centre; Liaise with relevant offices in UNEP and UNIC in the acquisition/rental of public address systems and other related equipment for press conferences and public awareness delivery; Assist in preparation of Requests for Proposals for equipment and services; Assist in drafting operational performance standards and maintenance guidelines.
2. Audio-Visual Conferences Services: Assist in coordinating all requests for audio-visual conference services; Configure and test hardware/software; Ensure installed video conference systems are operational, available and reliable; Ensure that preventative maintenance schedules on systems are carried out; Operate and man all equipment during meetings.
3. Use and Safety of Conference Equipment and Supervision: Guide and assist contractor's staff in installing and maintenance of equipment; Assist in workflow analyses of existing procedures and drafting of new workflow as required; Obtain statistical data on operational performance; Provide support and training for new uses and temporary staff; Maintain register of all equipment (installed and mobile); Provide input in research and evaluation of new conference products.
4. General duties: Stock and issue supplies and materials; Liaise with relevant offices in obtaining temporary conference facilities; Ensure proper maintenance of conference rooms; Oversee distribution of water in conference rooms.
5. Perform any other duties as required.
Professionalism: Knowledge of relevant programming language(s) and basic programming skills. Good technical skills, ability to participate in development and maintenance of applications, provide user support. Ability to respond to changing requirements and assignments, ability to apply good judgment in the context of assignments given. Shows pride in work and in achievements; Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results;
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; Is willing to learn from others; Places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position;
Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be "clients" and seeks to see things from clients' point of view; Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; Identifies clients' needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Technological Awareness: Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitation of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows willingness to learn new technology.
Completion of secondary education; supplemental courses/technical certificate in electronics, communications, computer technology or other related field.
A minimum of five years of relevant and progressively responsible experience in telecommunications related field. Knowledge of operating, maintaining and servicing UN conference equipment is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another United Nations Officials language is an advantage.
United Nations Considerations
The United Nations shall place no restriction on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. (Charter of the United Nations – Chapter 3, article 8). The United Nations Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
Evaluation of qualified candidates for this position may include a substantive assessment which may be followed by a competency-based interview.
Staff members are subject to the authority of Secretary-General and to assignment by him or her. In this context, all staff are expected to move periodically to new functions in their careers in accordance with established rules and procedures.
All applicants are strongly encouraged to apply online as soon as possible after the job opening has been posted and well before the deadline stated in the job opening. Online applications will be acknowledged where an email address has been provided.
If you do not receive an e-mail acknowledgement within 24 hours of submission, your application may not have been received. In such cases, please resubmit the application, quoting the job opening number in the subject header of your email.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSNG, TRAINING OR ANY OTHER FEES). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON BANK ACCOUNTS.
Fake job announcements and offers of assistance are in circulation. Scam "artists" want to steal your money!
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, TRAINING OR ANY OTHER FEES).
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON BANK ACCOUNTS.