Programme Manager/Electoral Trainer
Interpeace is an international peacebuilding organization that helps divided and conflicted societies build sustainable peace.
Location: Somalia - Hargeisa
Under the direction of the Programme Director, the Programme Manager/Electoral Trainer will play a critical day to day management role for the Interpeace Programme Management Team (PMT). In addition, the Programme Manager/Electoral Trainer will have a focus on the training and awareness processes within the overall democratization implementation. The Programme Manager/Electoral Trainer will work closely with the rest of the PMT staff, including the programme officer, the operations manager, the logistics coordinator and the finance manager, to ensure a fully harmonized approach to supporting the local electoral commissions in their efforts to conduct effective electoral and democratic processes.
This position will require locating to Hargeysa, Somaliland. The Programme Manager/Electoral Trainer will be under the direct supervision of the Programme Director for the Somali Democratization programme with additional oversight from the Regional Director for Eastern and Central Africa and will also work closely with the Interpeace Somali Programme Team to ensure that the peacebuilding mandate of Interpeace remains the ultimate focus throughout the programme. This post is initially for 4 months with a possible option for extension. Specifically, the Programme Manager/Electoral Trainer will be responsible for the following activities:
1. Provide overall management support for the Somali democratization processes under the leadership and direction of the Programme Director, Ruben Zamora. This includes the day to day management of the Interpeace programme management team (PMT). All aspects of this position are based on supporting the leadership and direction of the Programme Director.
2. Develop, in conjunction with the local entities, the electoral training and awareness material to be imparted to the populace through various mechanisms (civil society, media, political parties, etc).
3. Ensure that the processes and systems developed to support the electoral programme are implemented.
4. Assist the commissions in developing, fine-tuning and finalizing their planning for the electoral and democratization processes.
5. Provide day to day financial oversight for the project, working closely with the Financial Manager, the Programme Director, and Interpeace’s regional financial team based in Nairobi.
6. With the support of the Programme Director and project officer expertise, provide technical backup and expertise to the electoral processes in matters relating to the overall operations and implementation of the electoral processes and other democratization activities supported by the Somali Democratization – Phase II programme.
7. Act as one of the key liaison officers between the Interpeace electoral team and the Interpeace Nairobi office.
8. Provide strategic updates to the Democratization Steering Committee and attend steering committee meetings when called upon to do so.
9. Provide monthly and final programme reporting.
10. Carry out other democratization programme activities and tasks as called upon by the Regional Director or the Programme Director.
Minimum University Degree related to electoral, democratization processes. Masters Degree desired but not required.
At least 5 years of progressively responsible experience related to the management of electoral processes, with at least 3 years in training and awareness creation.
Strong communications skills, strong IT skills, and a commitment to peace and democracy through local solutions.