Project Manager (Engineer) P3
The World Food Programme (WFP) is the world's largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger
worldwide. We are currently seeking to fill the position of Project Manager at P3 level, which will
become available in our Regional Bureau in Khartoum, Sudan.
Under the direct supervision of the Deputy Regional Director/ Director Support Services, the
Project Manager will be responsible for the following key duties:
• Manage and supervise a team of professional engineers and technicians, with an oversight
of all projects in Sudan that include construction, rehabilitation, and upgrade of offices,
guest houses, warehouses and workshops, as well as, the maintenance of electrical
installations and A/C systems;
• Maintain close supervision of all milestones and end products of all projects undertaken,
and ongoing maintenance tasks in all relevant areas such as electricity, physical
• Ensure all engineering areas under supervision provide proper documentation and
information needed for the completion of necessary reports for management and other
• Oversee the preparation of all documents related to the construction of the new UN
common premises in Khartoum:
o Conceptual designs, the final schematic design, and the project document that sets
guidelines for construction
o Presentations to other UN agencies on the outcome of the design
o Development of management proposals and agreements
• Oversee the design and construction of the new WFP office building within the new UN
common premises in Khartoum;
• Oversee engineering and project management services—including preparation, planning,
design and technical specifications for construction and rehabilitation projects (Office
and/or Warehouse compounds) including designs, drawings, specs, MOSS, scope of works,
bills of quantities, work schedules, etc.—with special attention placed on green building
technologies where appropriate and feasible;
• Plan and supervise site assessments of WFP facilities to determine suitability for
operational purposes, safety, and efficiency of structures and equipment as well as identify
issues and develop remedial plans in consultation with the management;
• Prepare budgets for construction, rehabilitation, and upgrading projects for senior
• Analyze and evaluate design packages from external contracted designers to ensure
compliance with national regulations and WFP requirements;
• Assess and rank contractors bidding for WFP projects based on their technical and
institutional capacity to fulfill specific project requirements;
ARE YOU UP TO THE CHALLENGE?
Selected candidates may be asked to serve in a difficult duty
station upon appointment.
• Provide guidance and advice on the purchase of material related to work within area of
expertise, recognizing the segregation of duties between the Projects unit and other units;
• Negotiate work orders with contractors by liaising with Procurement Officers;
• Ensure all official documents, correspondences, notes, technical information, changing
work orders, etc. regarding construction are sent in writing and on timely manner to all
contractors and local authorities;
• Develop and maintain reports on key performance indicators of projects under supervision
ensuring proper monitoring of such projects;
• Provide updates on work progress to the management as appropriate;
• Perform any other duties as required.
Qualifications & Experience Required
• University degree in Engineering or a related field. Building facility management
qualifications is an advantage.
• At least 5 years of progressively responsible professional experience in construction and
project management with experience in North Africa and the Middle East.
Technical Skills & Knowledge:
• Proficiency in developing master plans for renovation and construction projects and site
• Experience in using standard computer software packages; MS Word, MS Excel, MS Visio,
AutoCAD, and net browsers;
• General knowledge of UN system policies, rules, regulations and procedures governing
administration is desirable.
• Excellent communication and presentation skills;
• Good action management and conflict resolution skills;
• Good interpersonal skills to work in a team, and establish effective working relations with
people of different national and cultural backgrounds;
• Excellent team work and technical leadership skills;
• Excellent decision making skills with ability to anticipate and evaluate the broader ethical
implications of decisions;
• Flexibility to work under extreme circumstances (pressures of time, budget and outcomes)
to achieve necessary results;
• Ability to foster a climate of honesty, integrity and trust.
• Working knowledge (proficiency/level C) of English and Arabic;
• Intermediate knowledge of another UN official language (French, Spanish, Russian,
Chinese) or WFP’s working language, Portuguese is an asset.
Terms and Conditions
Selected candidates will be employed on a fixed-term contract with a probationary period of one
WFP offers an attractive compensation and benefits package, including basic salary, post
adjustment, 30 days’ annual vacation, home leave, an education grant for dependent children,
pension plan and medical insurance. Please visit the following websites for detailed information
on working with WFP.
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
Qualified female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are encouraged to apply
Fighting Hunger Worldwide
AJS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS AND AJS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON BANK ACCOUNTS. SOME EMPLOYERS MAY ACKNOWLEDGE YOUR APPLICATION.