Administrative Associate (Roving) - Local position, Mogadishu, Somalia
I. Position Information
Job code title: Administrative Associate (Roving) Pre-classified Grade: ICS-7 Supervisor: Head of Administration and Finance Type of Contract: Fixed Term Appointment (Local) Duration One year Duty station Mogadishu
II. Organizational Context
Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Head of Administrative and Finance, the Administrative Associate provides the overall administration and execution of varied and inter-related operational and logistical activities in OCHA/Somalia offices, ensuring high quality and accuracy of work. The Administrative Associate promotes a client, quality and results-oriented approach.
The Administrative Associate works in close collaboration with the Administrative Unit in Nairobi and Sub-Offices staff in the South Central Somalia and other UN agencies staff to exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery.
III. Functions / Key Results Expected
Summary of Key Functions :
- Implementation of operational strategies
- Provision of effective and efficient administrative support services
- Support to supply and assets management
- Effective administrative and financial control in the office
- Proper common services
- Support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing
-Ensures implementation of operational strategies, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of administrative activities with UNOCHA/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies.
- Support to the OCHA/Somalia administrative business processes mapping and elaboration of the internal standard operating procedures (SOPs).
- Preparation of administrative team results-oriented workplans.
- Elaboration of proposals and implementation of cost saving and reduction strategies in consultations with office management .
Ensures effective and efficient provision of administrative support services, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Coordination and supervision of support staff engaged in the fields of registry, general services, telephone operator/receptionist, etc.
- Coordination and supervision of shipments and customs clearance, travel, events management, administrative surveys, transportation services and insurance, space management, procurement of supplies.
- Presentation of thoroughly researched information for planning of financial resources for administrative services
- Support with protocol matters, registration of staff, coordination with local authorities, on space and other administrative matters.
- Submission of information on administrative services provided for cost-recovery bills
3. Provides support to proper supply and assets management, focusing on achievement of the following result:
Coordination of assets management in the South Central Sub-Offices, timely preparation and submission of periodic inventory reports, coordination of physical verification of inventory items.
Coordination of the provision of reliable and quality office supplies
4. Ensures effective administrative and financial control in the office, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Implementation of the control mechanism for administrative services, maintenance of administrative control records such as commitments and expenditures.
- Review, research, verification and reconciliation of a variety of data and reports ensuring accuracy and conformance with administrative rules and regulations ;
- Proper inventory control; supervision of proper issuance of inventory items and supplies.
- Review of travel authorizations, documentation, payments
- Assistance in the preparation of budget, audit and other reports.
- Provision of researched information, reports for audit exercises.
5. Ensures proper common services focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintenance of common services to ensure integrated activities on common services and implementation of the UN reform.
- Proper planning and tracking of common services budget
Support knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the South-Central Sub-Offices , focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Organization of training for newly administrative staff
- Briefing to staff members on general administrative matters; provision of advice and administrative support.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
IV. Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the efficiency of the unit. Accurate analysis and presentation of information strengthens the capacity of the office and promotes the image of UNOCHA as an effective contributor to the development of the country, facilitates subsequent action by a supervisor. Incumbent's own initiative is decisive in results of work and timely finalization.
V. Competencies and Critical Success Factors
Building Strategic Partnerships
Level 1.1: Maintaining information
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Level 1.1: Basic research and analysis
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents innovative strategies and new approaches
- Identifies and communicates opportunities to promote learning and knowledge sharing
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Level 1.1: Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Identifies new and better approaches to work processes and incorporates same in own work
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Promoting Organizational Change and Development
Level 1.1: Presentation of information on best practices in organizational change
- Documents 'best practices' in organizational change and development within and outside the UN system
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions
Design and Implementation of Management Systems
Level 1.1: Data gathering and implementation of management systems
- Uses information/databases/other management systems
- Provides inputs to the development of simple system components
- Makes recommendations related to work procedures and implementation of management systems
Level 1.1: Maintains effective client relationships
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
- Responds to client needs promptly
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
Level 1.1: Gathering and disseminating information
- Gathers and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems
- Prepares timely inputs to reports ï± Maintains databases
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
VI. Recruitment Qualifications
Education: Secondary education. Certification in Administration or Finance. University Degree in Business or Public Administration desirable, but it is not a requirement.
Experience: 7 years of relevant experience in administration or programme support service. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.). Experience in handling of web-based management systems.
Language Requirements: Fluency in English and Somali
"Interested and qualified candidates are requested to submit electronic application"
AJS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS AND AJS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON BANK ACCOUNTS.
SOME EMPLOYERS MAY ACKNOWLEDGE RECEIPT OF YOUR APPLICATION.