Mobile Network Solution Architect
Job ID 1847
Full Time - Permanent
Recruiting End Date
Essence of Role/Key Accountabilities
1. To lead the technical assessment and design of mobile network solutions in a consistent way with the department Product Catalogue, strategy and architecture
To lead the design of standard products and its addition into the department Product Catalogue, so that they can be reused in future demands in fast, professional and consistent designs from the department.
Acceptance of customer specification (clear, unambiguous and realistic)
Product or solution design document (e.g. blueprint, High Level Design) with the end-to-end design of all the elements to be delivered, their interactions, etc.
Management of the department internal project budget.
Customer agreement on the scope, timescales and cost (±10%) of the solution, prior to the project moving to delivery (Gate 2).
Define and maintain the products in the department Product Catalogue (both technical and implementation aspects) to enable.
Seek constant improvement of department portfolio and processes to translate into a positive effect in the effectiveness and professionalism of the department as a customer-centric organisation.
Define and evangelise the Vodafone Technology strategy on the technical areas of accountability.
2. Customers, supplier and third parties
Support the Customer & Demand Management function in the definition of clear customer requirements, sanctioned by the customer when a delivery project is created.
Work closely with the customer during the design phase to ensure the compliancy of the solution against the customer requirements, providing transparency on all the aspects affecting the delivery to the customer.
If applicable, lead the selections of 3rd party suppliers, manage the interaction with them (technical requirements, compliancy, roadmaps, performance management, etc.) and support VPC in commercial negotiations.
3. Leadership and teamwork Manage the Vodafone Technology virtual team (project manager, domains, OpCos, vendors) for the design and development of technology products.
Lead the ‘solution assurance’ for any aspect of the technical solution, even if delivered by another domain, in order to ensure interworking between domains.
Continue to support product and solution implementations while in the delivery phase, ensuring adherence to the delivery agreement with the customer.
Build relationships on- and off-project with relevant teams in OpCos and other group domains working in the same competence area.
4. Innovation and change Evaluate and promote new technology solutions and integration with legacy systems
Identify opportunities for VT/NSU to add value to the business by resolving existing demands or issues through the reusability of existing products or solutions.
Support the customer in early feasibility assessments, shaping before the demand is firmly established.
Lead the availability of trial solutions to support the product/solution definition and development.
5. Knowledge and experience
Advise and share experience on complex issues by providing technical guidance to project team members (consultancy).
6. Communication / Interfaces & knowledge transfer
Clear, prompt communication with colleagues & management.
Act as the main technical representative of the project team and competence area to all stakeholders, including the customer and Technology management.
Promptly, constantly and consistently update the service desk on any network incident.
Notify & escalate problems / network incidents to team leader and / or management.
Communicate in cross function groups & committees as may be required to handle cross projects or issues.
7. Financial limits into consideration during design
Contribute to the team budget forecast, both prior to Detailed Budget submission, as well as during FY review cycles.
Manage the project budget during the design phase.
Ensure that a ±10% cost estimation of the solution is achieved at the end of the design phase and before moving into implementation.
Capture financial guidelines per product in the NSU Product Catalogue.
8. Managing technical virtual teams
Manage the Vodafone Technology virtual team (project manager, domains, OpCos, vendors) for the design and development of technology products.
Manage technical, non-permanent staff allocated to the project.
Role Dimension: Financial (limits/mandates), Non-Financial (customers/staff/stakeholders)
Technical Skills/Professional Expertise
• Bachelor Degree in electronic /telecommunications engineering.
• 6+ years experience in Mobile networks (GSM, 3G) and transport transmission inside a mobile operating company.
• Background in mobile and/or fixed network technology (design, implementation and roll out of services).
• Track record of solution design in a telecoms environment.
• Ability to develop workable product solutions to address the strategic imperatives of the business.
• 1 year experience in project management.
• Experience as a user of Microsoft operating systems
• Good knowledge of Microsoft office, MS Project, and Visio
• Deep understanding of protocols and products in the following areas:
o Mobile networks: GSM, 3G
o Transport: transmission, IP
o Core Networks: SIP, R4, IMS, AS.
o Terminals: IP phones, PC clients
• Strong understanding of project management skills (methodologies and tools) proven by a successful track record of project delivery.
• The ability to develop with team, enhancements that may improve network quality and availability.
• Proficiency in the English language: Reading, writing and speaking
• High ability to work in a team.
• Customer Obsessed – We are passionate about exceeding expectations:
o Always have the final customer (internal and external) in mind during the design of a product or solution.
o Work with the (internal) customer during all aspects of the design
• Innovation Hungry – We create and deliver new products, services and ways of working that delight our customers:
o Question traditional working methods and consider alternative ones that improve the delivery to the customer.
• Ambitious & Competitive – We bring energy and passion to our work and always aim to beat the competition:
o Keep up to date with what the competition is doing, both in the technical and business areas.
o Energise the team with a ‘can do’ attitude and overachieving against its goals
• One Company, Local Roots – We work across Vodafone to achieve the best outcome for customers, employees and shareholders:
o Thrive in multi-function teams, creating an inclusive & collaborative atmosphere, overcoming boundaries and exploiting its diversity.
o Adopt and evangelise on best practise around Vodafone, avoiding re-investing the wheel
• Speed – We drive speed to market. We relentlessly prioritise and pursue the outcomes that matter to our business:
o Actively promote a culture of solving problems in smaller iterations.
o Encourage a critical and outspoken view against unnecessary bureaucracy.
o Be ready to make decisions even in the lack of the full information, being prepared to change if circumstances change.
• Simplicity – We make things simple for our customers, partners and colleagues:
o Promote clarity and simplicity over completeness when communicating internally and to the customer.
• Trust – We are reliable and transparent to deal with. We deliver for others and trust others to do likewise:
o Keep promises and ask for help if necessary
o Provide open feedback and be ready and positive to be challenged for improvement.
• Good negotiation skills.
• Good communication skills.
• Excellent analytic skills
• Quick learner
• Researcher and fast adopter of new technology trends.
Number of direct Subordinates
Direct Manager (title)
Senior Manager, Professional Services
AJS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS AND AJS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON BANK ACCOUNTS.
SOME EMPLOYERS MAY ACKNOWLEDGE RECEIPT OF YOUR APPLICATION.