FTA-Fixed Term Appointment
Security Officer P3
The World Food Programme (WFP) is the world's largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger
worldwide. We are currently seeking to fill the position of Security Officer at P3 level, which will
become available in our Country Office in Niger, Niamey.
Within delegated authority, the Security Officer will be responsible for the following key duties:
• Keep abreast of WFP operations worldwide and make recommendations on security, safety
and evacuation plans for staff;
• Advise and recommend on all security matters;
• Coordinate with other UN security organizations (DPKO, Department of Safety and
Security –DSS-, UN) and military/government counterparts, as required;
• Assist in planning, coordinating and executing evacuations and relocations involving WFP,
UN and NGO staff;
• Train WFP Staff to increase security awareness;
• Coordinate with local authorities (police, military, political and humanitarian);
• Supervise staff, as required;
• Perform security assessments, both routine and those required to ensure that it is safe for
WFP staff to enter/return to a location/duty station;
• Evaluate mined roads/areas;
• Evaluate and organise security measures for air operations;
• Organise convoy security procedures and medical evacuations;
• Ensure WFP communications is integrated into the appropriate UN security communication
system and all staff are trained in security and emergency procedures, in collaboration
with Information & Telecommunications Officer;
• Organise and manage WFP guard/watchman force;
• Analyze security situation and report periodically to Headquarters;
• Ensure that timely emergency preparedness actions, such as early warning, risk
analysis/management and contingency planning, are carried out, regularly monitored,
updated and reported in the area of responsibility;
• Participate in and as required lead hostage negotiations;
Qualifications & Experience Required
Advance university degree (masters degree or equivalent) preferably in political/social
science, international relations, law enforcement and/or business management (with a
focus on security management).
A first level university degree with a relevant combination of academic qualifications and
experience in a related area may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A police/military war college/senior staff course is an asset.
ARE YOU UP TO THE CHALLENGE?
Selected candidates may be asked to serve in a difficult duty
station upon appointment
At least five years of postgraduate professional experience in the military (combat arms
and reconnaissance skills preferred) or police work. Basic first aid training/skills.
Technical Skills & Knowledge
Understanding of weapons systems, maps, information collection and logistics concepts.
A complete, in-depth grasp of security operations and practices.
Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain effective work relationships with security
counterparts and staff within the country office.
Understanding of multilevel military operations (air, land, sea).
• Organisation and coordination skills
• Analytical skills to reach conclusions in support of work conducted by others.
• WFP’s core competencies for professionals include action management, communication
skills and high standards of ethics and values.
• Proficiency in English and French is required.
• Intermediate knowledge of another UN official language (Arabic, Spanish, Russian or
Chinese) or Portuguese as a WFP working language is desirable.
Terms and Conditions
Selected candidates will be employed on a fixed-term contract with a probationary period of one
WFP offers an attractive compensation and benefits package, including basic salary, post
adjustment, 30 days’ annual vacation, home leave, an education grant for dependent children,
pension plan and medical insurance. Please visit the following websites for detailed information
on working with WFP.
http://www.wfp.org Click on: “Where we work” and “Our work” to learn more about WFP’s
http://icsc.un.org Click on: Quick Links > Salary Scales > by date
http://www.unstaffmobility.org Learn more about countries where the UN operates
Step 1: Create your online CV.
Step 2: Click on “Description” to read the position requirements and “Apply” to submit your
NOTE: You must complete Step 2 in order for your application to be considered for this vacancy.
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
Qualified female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are encouraged to apply
Fighting Hunger Worldwide
AJS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS AND AJS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON BANK ACCOUNTS.
SOME EMPLOYERS MAY ACKNOWLEDGE RECEIPT OF YOUR APPLICATION.